« 60k service done | Main | Selling my Explorer »

April 13, 2006

Broke lug bolt

The new non Ford shop we're servicing the car with overtightened the wheels last time he rotated. They must have used an air wrench with no torque setting. We swapped the wheels back to summer wheels last night and of course, the lugs were tightened so much, we broke one getting the wheel off. Pain in the ass. Brought it to the guy today to complain but he won't pay so it's on us.

I'm worried now about the other lugs, have they been weakened because of the ridiculous torque they were tighened to before. I guess time will tell.

Looking to replace these summer tires also from the Goodyear Integrities that come standard. Looking at tirerack and Yokohama AVTs look good. Still thinking about it though.

April 13, 2006 | Permalink

Comments

Check the other lugs. On December 29 I had the right front wheel of my 2003 Windstar fall off. It caused over $1700 in damage and I'm fighting with the Ford agency that overtightened them now.
Even Ford doesn't want to take the responsibility. I was just lucky that I was going slow and pulled over when it started to vibrate. My insurance co. had an engineer look at the studs (which I kept) and they determined that they were in fact over tightened.

Posted by: Vince Lentz | May 1, 2006 12:50:26 PM

In November of 2005 the right front wheel of my Windstar broke off without warning. This happened at 60 mph on a straight and level highway at the end of a 1000 mile trip. I am lucky my family wasn't killed, thank God it didn't happen when we had just driven through curvy mountainous roads. All 5 lugs snapped. Adjacent drivers could have been hurt as the wheel flew off. Three months before, I needed to take the wheel off to fix a flat and needed to use a 4 foot pipe extension on the lug wrench to get the nuts off, that's how tight they were installed. regardless, I've driven many cars for many years and the wheels have never fallen off.
If you want to keep your car (I wouldn't) then by all means replace the wheel hub.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 5, 2006 12:25:15 PM

I have had two bad experiances with overtightened wheel nuts.#1- on a 1990 Cougar, I had new tires installed at a Calgary dealer and when I got to Ottawa(3550 KM)later, I had very bad brake shimmy due to warped front rotors. There are no hills on this trip and a Ford dealer explained that I had received the wrong torque setting when the tire shop did the job. I confirmed the diagnosis through a site similar to this one.An air wrench that has been set for large truck tires will be well over the optimun 90 lb. per Sq. in.and will warp the rotors.

#2- On my 1996 Windstar, I had two front studs that stripped when I tied to remove the front wheels. The van had been at a transmission shop and the Left front had been off several times.

Les H

Posted by: Les | Jun 12, 2006 8:48:35 PM

1996 Windstar, was making a turn after a stop and my front right wheel came off. I was lucky to get out of traffic on a busy road with construction. Was towed to a shop that had never seen the likes of this as I had no tire work done for over a year. All 5 lugs snapped.
Barb L

Posted by: Barb | Sep 27, 2006 8:33:14 AM

I am trying to find out how tight to tighten lug nuts on my 2003 Windstar with aluminum wheels. They were tightened to 100# when I had the tires rotated. I think they should be about 80#. Am I right or wrong?

Posted by: Peter Higgins | Oct 23, 2006 4:40:56 PM

June 2006 my right front wheel came off when all 5 lugs broke. Ford said they were overtightened. Ordered new parts from Ford and my mechanic replaced them, to inlcude proper torque. Jan 17, 2007 the right front wheel came off again. Different wheel, less than 10,000 miles since the new parts were installed, definetly torqued to specs. Both times caused damage to fender, door, rocker, inner wheelwell, bumper cover, plus suspension damage.

Ford still uses aluminum studs instead of steel.

Why always the right front wheel?

We can't all be wrong.

Posted by: Tom Benvie | Jan 20, 2007 12:57:04 PM

I just had my 2003 Trailblazer 4x4 serviced last week. $ wheel alignment and tires rotated. Last night as i was driving home my back tire came off on the highway. Canadian Tire said they didn't know why that would happen of course( They are the ones that did the work) Is is safe to say that my oyher tires may do the same thing at some point and time? And should i demand they replace all the bolts in the other tires just in case? I'm worried now that they may have over tightened all the bolts.

Posted by: Linda | Feb 27, 2007 11:45:02 AM

My wifes 2002 Windstar SEL van has a check engine light and a tire light. Autozone person says the check engine light is for too lean mixture. Could that be the MAF or Co2 sensor. And what about the tire indicator. The tire pressures are all up and no flats. Thanks in advance for help.

Posted by: chad | May 5, 2007 7:51:11 PM

I had the same problem. 2003 Ford Explorer rt front tire 4 out of 5 broke and I had to get the car towed.

Posted by: Kelly | May 19, 2007 7:42:28 PM